A Rapidly Growing Virtual Care Delivery Platform For Health Care Organizations
Up and Running Software currently serves a disruptive digital health startup, helping to build out its proprietary platform designed to improve patient experience in a mobile world. Specifically, the platform helps hospitals coordinate care for all patients, improves workflows, reduces costs and risk, and helps increase overall efficiency while also facilitating virtual care.
By combining leading health care organizations’ proven programs and practices into a single user-friendly platform, the platform can handle any virtual care case. Such streamlining empowers care teams with the tools to manage, monitor, and engage the right patients at the right time.
Our client’s cutting-edge health care platform serves several prestigious commercial and federal end clients, including the U.S. Government through the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Specifically, our client built and deployed a secure, robust virtual care platform for the USCG that is used by more than 400 of its health care providers serving tens of thousands of patients.
Up and Running’s developers work directly with the client as additional members of the core development team. Initially, we were brought on to conduct automated load and performance testing to validate the client’s implementation and launch for a U.S. government entity. The end client needed a way to manage virtual care for its more than 87,000 active personnel following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the platform provided them with this. We created a variety of JMeter scripts to simulate end-user behavior and a cluster of nodes to test the environment backend as part of the due diligence.
Our involvement began with backend service implementation as well as performance and scalability testing and optimization. Over time, following successful execution of the automated load testing and optimization tasks, our role has grown. Currently, we are involved in the full scope of the client’s development workflow, including:
- Implementing a next generation backend for their platform using Python and GraphQL.
- Building a new frontend for providers and patients using Next.js.
- Defining protocols and data models for versioning requirements to support offline/mobile and edge-to-edge synchronization.
Additionally, we have also been working on the following items throughout the duration of our relationship:
- Improving the maintainability and consistency of the .NET Core backend. This version is now being replaced by our complete Python rebuild.
- Completing a full redesign and reimplementation of the permissions, roles, and organization management systems.
- Implementing audit logging support for third-party hospital auditors.
Up and Running is also serving the client by leading the development of two mobile initiatives:
- The first is an application for patients to interact with providers and health monitoring devices via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). This allows for the reading of blood pressure, oxygen, and temperature via BLE and for this information to be shared with the provider during a telehealth video conference.
- The second application is a provider offline app to support users who are unable to consistently access the cloud environment. Our work involves defining and implementing support for synchronization between the edge devices and offline mobile app. The offline app syncs with both the cloud as well as edge devices and allows for multiple users to access the device in a secure, encrypted way. This provides the end client with the ability to sync edge devices to the cloud to get patients, assignments, and care data prior to mission departure. During the mission, linked mobile devices allow personnel to complete and track patient data, which is then synced to the edge device and other linked devices.
The following technologies were utilized to help our client:
- .NET Core – Server backend development
- Flutter/Dart – Mobile development
- MSSQL – Database backend
- JMeter – Load and performance testing
- Python – Edge layer development
Our partnership with this client represents a vertical in which we are particularly experienced. With over two decades serving organizations of all sizes in the health care sector, we have become adept at anticipating our clients’ needs in this area. We look forward to a continued fruitful collaboration and hope to keep providing our expertise to contribute to our client’s mission to serve as the backbone virtual care delivery platform for health care organizations and to help patients and providers across the world.